Thursday 27 October 2011

Film of the day

Sometimes I go back to old favourites and wonder what I saw in them. I feel rather stupid for loving them so in the first place, and slink away in shame. Some, though, are like fine wines, and one returns to them with surprised delight.

Last night I watched The Russia House, which I have not see for years. I remember loving it because it has all the things I enjoy: old school British secret service, a bit of Russian romanticism, dead drops and double crosses. And it turns out it is really very good indeed. It's sharp and funny and dry and wry. I discovered it is written by Tom Stoppard, so that explains that. And there is the edgy atmosphere of the end of the Cold War and the beginnings of glasnost, which is historically fascinating. Not quite Moscow Rules, but not far off. It has Sean Connery being louche and James Fox being clever and a young Michael Kitchen doing that kind of acting that I adore,where a mere twitch of an eyebrow says more than twenty speeches.

You can find it here, if you are interested.

Oh, also, it's a film for grown-ups, and I find there are not that many of those about, these days.


Photograph uncredited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always thrilled to get comments, so do please leave one.