Monday 26 March 2012

Test of the day

Susan Cain's book about introverts is getting more and more attention. As a true introvert, I find this rather gratifying.

Here is an interesting test which accompanied an excerpt from the book in one of the papers today. Remember that it is generally agreed that introversion is graded on a curve. I scored 17 out of 20, which is pretty curvy. Oddly, even though one of the points of the book is that society is geared for extroverts, I have always felt oddly proud of my introversion. (Which should not be confused with shyness.) I have no idea why this is, since it was born in me, and is not my own work.

  1. I prefer one-on-one conversations to group activities.
  2. I often prefer to express myself in writing.
  3. I enjoy solitude.
  4. I seem to care less than my peers about wealth, fame and status.
  5. I dislike small talk but I enjoy talking in depth about topics that matter to me.
  6. People tell me that I’m a good listener.
  7. I’m not a big risk taker.
  8. I enjoy work that allows me to dive in with few interruptions.
  9. People describe me as soft-spoken or mellow.
  10. I prefer not to show my work or discuss it with others until it is finished.
  11. I like to celebrate birthdays on a small scale with only one or two close friends or family members.
  12. I dislike conflict.
  13. I do my best work alone.
  14. I tend to think before I speak.
  15. I feel drained after being out and about, even if I’ve enjoyed myself.
  16. I often let calls go to voicemail.
  17. I’d prefer a weekend with nothing to do to one with too many things scheduled.
  18. I don’t enjoy multi-tasking.
  19. I concentrate easily.
  20. In classrooms, I prefer lectures to seminars.

The more true answers you have, the more likely you are to be introverted.

 

Famous Introverts:<br />Fun Fact: Introverts only make up 30% of the population! Correction! We&#8217;re a small large bunch, we make up 1/2 of the population, as been informed to me by fellow introvert blogger, Susan! Good to know :) <br />Contrary to a common myth about introverts, we are not &#8216;afraid&#8217; to put ourselves out there, nor do we necessarily hate people. We just need time for ourselves; our brains work differently. To build up some of your own pride about being an introvert, here are just a few of the many famous introverts&#8230;some you would even be surprised to learn are introverts<br />Famous &amp; Successful Introverts:Albert Einstein Jackie KennedyMeryl StreepClint EastwoodTom HanksJohnny CarsonSteve MartinJane GoodallDiane SawyerHarrison FordJulia RobertsGwyneth PaltrowAudrey HepburnBill GatesAbraham LincolnMia FarrowMark ZuckerbergSteven Spielberg Mark Twain<br />Have more to add to the list?

Picture found on the Quiet Girl, Loud City blog.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I too have some of those traits, though not seventeen, and have always valued my need for solitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do find the craving for solitude is the most misunderstood. People often mistake it for anti-social behaviour. Sometimes I just want to be quiet and think. :)

      Delete
  2. I scored 15. Of course I knew this about myself all along, and the introvert in me is a bit bothered I felt the need to take a test to confirm it. ;-)

    Imogene x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I did the test and answered 'yes' to about 15. I asked my husband the same questions and he answered 'no' to the same amount. Perfectly matched?! If ever there was an extrovert to my introvert, he is it. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PERFECT. My sister always says an introvert should marry an extrovert and then it's Jack and Mrs Sprat. Love that you got same inverted scores. It's a sign.

      Delete

I am always thrilled to get comments, so do please leave one.