Sunday 2 October 2011

Discovery of the Day


Sometimes I almost panic about all the things I do not know. One of the delightful things about the internet is that it contains almost all the knowledge in the world. It is like the great library at Alexandria. One of its most potent joys is that it allows you to stumble upon things that you would never otherwise find. It obeys the Donald Rumsfeld maxim: there the the things we do not know we do not know. (I remember scoffing at this mightily at the time. Now I think it is a profound universal truth. Just because I do not agree with his politics does not mean I cannot admit that the man sometimes said something that was true.)

This morning, I was looking up something on Lartigue, one of my three favourite photographers in the world. In the process of the search, I found a beautiful set of black and white photographs I had never seen before. They were taken by a woman called Lillian Bassman. She has a great talent, and a fascinating life. I was struck by the fact that she was married to her husband for seventy-seven years. 'He never bored me,' she said. I love that. She was born in 1917, and is still living in New York City.

There is an excellent New York Times article about her here.













No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always thrilled to get comments, so do please leave one.