Wednesday 4 January 2012

Poem of the day

I think we need a bit of a palate-cleanser after the Santorum madness. I thought: yes, a poem, to act as a sorbet.

I love very short, neat poems. Apart from Prufrock and The Wasteland, I am not that keen on the long, winding ones. This may be intellectual idleness on my part. But I love those sharp, snappy verses, from the mordant Dorothy Parker ditties to the wondrous ee cummings musings. Here's a real old friend, which says everything in four lines:


My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah! my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

By Edna St Vincent Millay.


Lovely old picture of her, with magnolia, photographer unknown.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always thrilled to get comments, so do please leave one.